Hair Diary: Jonna Sharnell

1:27 PM

About Me...My name is Jonna (just like Donna, but with a J) aka Monchhichi. I'm married with 3 kids..I mean dogs :-) I work at a local hospital in administrative support and I'm also singer. I have 2 vlogs on YouTube: one for natural hair and fun stuff - www.youtube.com/user/ItsMeMonchhichi and one for my music - www.youtube.com/user/JonnaSharnell. I also have an artist fan page on FaceBook - www.facebook.com/JonnaSharnell.

Where do you live? How is the natural hair community there?

I live in the Hamptons Roads area of Virginia. There is a small natural hair group called Hampton Roads Napturals. I'm about an hour or so from Richmond Va and there is a larger natural hair community in that area.

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I got my last relaxer the weekend of July 4, 2008 and I BC'ed on December 18, 2008. I went natural because I wanted to have a more healthy lifestyle overall. I loved the variety of natural hairstyles I saw naturals wearing and I was curious to see what I could do with my hair.

Were your friends and family supporitive? If not, how were you able to move forward?

My friends and family were supportive, but still very anxious about the change. I tend to be a very independent person who does whatever she wants and has her own sense of style. I think my friends and family didn't feel a need to "pat me on my back" and encourage me. And they know not to come out of their mouths just any kind of way to me, so mostly they just asked "sooo..what exactly are you doing with your hair?" I still that to be supportive. They didn't discourage me, but they just wanted to be sure I had really thought about it and wanted to understand my "why" for doing it.

What is your current hair routine?

Because I have seborrheic eczema, I cleanse my scalp/hair once a week alternating between ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse and homemade tea tree shampoo (recipe can be found on my YouTube channel). Before I cleanse, I coat my hair with some type of oil ( usually coconut) and cover with a plastic cap for 30min to an hour. Then I hop in the shower to rinse and cleanse. After cleansing, I sort of co-wash with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat Invigorating Conditioner and detangle with Giovanni 50:50 Balancing Conditioner. I also cut out any single strand knots. Apply a leave in conditioner (KimmayTube's recipe), oil my scalp and style. I deep condition once a week with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask. For daily moisturizing, I either spritz with water and add coconut or castor oil or I'll spritz with a mix of aloe vera juice, glycerin, jojoba oil and some essential oils. I spray this on my scalp also to help with the eczema. I also use SheaMoisture Curl & Style Milk to moisturize and SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie for curl definition and to eliminate frizz.

Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?

My goal is to achieve more length, maybe bra strap length by the end of the year. To achieve this, I'm taking more time to detangle and wearing more protective styles. As well as eating healthy, drinking more water and taking vitamin supplements.

Describe your favorite go to natural style...My fave is the puff! To achieve this style is very simple. Just wet hair, add some form of moisturizer (conditioner, leave in, glycerin mix, etc), use gel or hair butter/ shea butter to smooth the edges and pull the hair into a puff with a Goody Ouchless band. Leave as so, or add a hair accessory to spice it up.

Curly girls have more fun because...We are all unique, every coil and kink! Variety is the spice of life!!

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images