Obsessive Curls: Jewelry Designer Rachel Stewart

10:59 AM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I've been natural for over 20 years (I'm 37). It wasn't a big decision, I just wanted to cut my hair...shave it off actually. I wasn't trying to be natural I just liked the hairstyle.

Where do you live? How the natural hair community there?

I live in North Carolina. There are some naturals here, but it's not the norm at all!

What is your current hair routine?

I don't use shampoo at all. I co-wash with Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner 3 or 4 times a week. I also ust the same conditioner as a leave in. In my opinion, leave in conditioners are just regular conditioners marketed to make you think you need to buy a separate product...it's NOT true! I use my conditioner as a leave in and it works better than anything I've ever done in all of my natural years.

Some days I just rinse my hair with water and a bit of conditioner and let it air dry. I don't do protective styles at all and I wear my hair loose everyday. I also stopped using ouls and butters on my hair. They don't work as good as my conditioner as a styling aid and I don't believe in using 3,4,5 products a day on my hair. I think that naturals pile on products in an attempt to fight their texture. Trying to create a texture that they see on another natural instead of working on their own.

Favorite hair products... I only have 2 favorites....Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner and Aple Cider Vinegar to clarify. That's it!!

Do you have any hair goals?

I always shave my head every few years, because my favorite style is the baldie. However, I'm challenging  myself to get to at least bra strap length before I cut again.

Favorite hair style... Right now it's the wash and go. I simply co-wash, rinse add a bit more conditioner and let air dry. If a style takes more than 5 minutes to do on my hair...it's not gonna happen.

Your jewelry line is beautiful! How did you get started designing jewelry?

Last year I started making headbands and peacock feather earings to sell on my blog, Target Queen. I got a great response and figured I could really make it this a full time thing if I applied myself.

You have great style, describe the perfect look... The perfect look for me is big wild hair, simple and effortless pieces and some funky shoes. Not too trendy.

What advice can you give to those who are a bit style challenged?

I think a person that is style challenged is simply afraid to wear what she really likes. She may think she can't pull it off, but confidence is the best accessory. If you wnat to wear the opposite of what everyone else is wearing then DO IT!!!

Curly girls have more fun because... We aren't afraid of the rain :-)

Gorgeous lady!! To see of more of Rachel please visit the links below...

Jewelry Shop: http://rachelstewart.bigcartel.com/ Blog: http://targetqueenjewelry.blogspot.com/ 

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rachelstewart Art Site: http://rachelstewart.net/

Photography: http://csphoto-design.com/

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images