Hair Diary: Andrea S.

1:51 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I had very dry, dandruff laden scalp and limp hair when I was relaxed.  I call myself transitioning, but it kind of happened a little differently.  I literally found myself standing in the bathroom, scissors in one hand, other hand full of hair with roughly half an inch of hair on my head...in the front, which meant that there was no turning back.  LOL!   This was October 3rd 2008.  My last relaxer was probably in July or August of the same year. 

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?  If not, how were you able to move forward?

I wore my hair pinned up most of the time so people really didn't know how much hair I had.  My friends liked it.  I'm the weird one in my family so most hardly noticed. No one really asked me if I cut it but they noticed that looked shorter than usual.  It wasn't until I said that I cut it that people realized that it didn't look shorter, it WAS shorter.  I get a lot positive feedback.  I've only had one fool say something ignorant.  I shut him down and shut him up though. 

What is your current hair routine?

I co-wash twice a week and DCovernight at least once a week.  As strange as it may sound, one of my favorite things used to be washing my hair.  The bubbles running over my shoulders and the squeaky clean scalp, WOOOO honey chile!  I noticed that my hair would be super dry after the shampoo and the dryness lasted several days no matter what I put in my hair.  I cut the shampoo sessions down to once a month or when my hair feels dirty or too oily.  Since I sleep in the day and work at night, I have a bad habitof not covering my hair for bed. I know, I know. I fluff and spritz, twist and release or detangle and go.  Nothing complicated, yet.

What are some of your favorite products?

I love Tresemme's anti-breakage conditioner (as an overnight DC) and the shampoo, though I only use the shampoo once a month or so. I used it when I was relaxed as well.  My hair always feels thicker and stronger after.  My hair idol, KKQ has me using cassia as needed now.  My hair does not like any form gel so I use aloe instead.  For protective styles and twist-outs, I use shea-loe that I mix myself. I spritz with a product that I found at some off-name beauty supply.  It has glycerin, aloe, shea butter, jojoba and tea oils...it comes this way; I do not add anything.  I like that it doesn't have a strong scent and a little goes a long way.  I co-wash with Suave's Rosemary Mint conditioner.  If I do a roller set, I use Pantene's Relaxed and Natural's leave in conditioner. That's pretty much it.  My hair is only dry after I shampoo so I don't use a lot of products. 

What are your hair goals?  What steps are you taking to achieve them?

No hair goals. My hair has gone through several texture changes since my BC.  In the beginning, it was more wavy.  When I twisted it, the first twist would unravel before I could finish the next one. The color was very dark.  I've never colored my hair but it was always a reddish brown.  After the BC, it grew back darn near BLACK. I think the morphing is over now.  I am enjoying whatever it is doing and I will be happy with whatever develops.  I have about 9 inches stretched and my hair does the ringlet thing so it shrinks to 1/4 of that. My head has become some sort of science experiment!  LOL. 

How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?

Beauty has always been an internal characteristic in my eyes.  I've seen GORGEOUS women but as soon as they open their mouths, they are very unattractive.  It does not take a professional styling team and designer clothes to make someone attractive.  External features, make-up, earrings, curling irons, they should enhance what we already are; not morph us into completely different people.  Hair is an extension of a person, but it does not define who the person is.  I felt beautiful BEFORE I BC'd but I think it became more noticeable after since I stood out with my TWA.

What advice would you give to a new natural?

For any person, whether relaxed or natural, let your exterior be a reflection of your interior and not vice versa.

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images