Hair Diary: Amanda K.

2:37 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I decided to go natural this past January because I was tired of split ends, flat hair, dry scalp and breakage.  I wasn’t allowing my hair to reach its full potential with relaxers and weaves  and I decided I needed a change in time for my 20th birthday.   Also my best friend went natural two years ago and I've been jealous and she's been encouraging me to do the same.  SideNote: I'm a college student and the creamy crack was becoming a burden on my pockets.

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?

If not, how were you able to move forward?  Most of my friends and family were supportive, sans my conservative grandmother.  My mom was natural for years until she relapsed out of empty nest syndrome, lol (I’m one of two and we both left for college at once).  My boyfriend has been the most supportive in my decision and that was all the motivation I needed.

What is current hair routine?

I’m currently figuring out a routine through research and blog stalking, but I’ve been deep conditioning 1x a week and co-washing 2x a week.  Then I use a leave in with Organix Hydrating Tea Tree Mint Conditioner and water.  I also put in bantu knots at night and wear the curly benefits for a few days afterwards.  It works for now but I’m always looking for something new.

What are your hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?

My ultimate hair goal is to have fuller, healthier hair that fully expresses who I am as a person.  I’m not flat and dry so why should my hair be that way?  At this point in my transition stage, it’s all about keeping my hair moisturized and regularly trimming my ends because I have yet to do my BC.

How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?

I think my perception of beauty has evolved since going natural.  Before going natural, I fell into the widespread idea that beautiful people have straight hair.  Now I realize that the beauty is in the confidence of the person rocking that straight or natural hair  I’ve seen my beauty with a relaxer, so now I want see what my beauty is like with natural hair.

What advice would you give to a new natural?

You will not see results overnight.  Take your time getting to know what your hair does and doesn’t like. And DO NOT try to compare your hair to that of other people.  It is uniquely you and you shouldn’t be trying to live out someone else’s hair journey.  Create your own and enjoy it.

Submit your Hair Diary by clicking the link! http://naturallyobsessed.onsugar.com/Hair-Diary-How-Can-I-Featured-8336639

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images