TWA Hair Diary: Jessica K.

7:10 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I did my BC on October 10th 2009 and I transition for around 5 months.  In high school I was always in my stylist's chair faithfully every 2 weeks!  I never missed a perm date and was basically planning things based on my hair appointments!  Horrible right??  But I always wanted curly big poofy hair, so after going on youtube and looking at the millions of videos posted on there about natural hair I decided that I would no longer get perms!  So I go my last perm in March and Then I got a sew in kept that in for 2 months. When I took it out I said to myself "what can I do with my hair"!  I was broke so I couldn't even go to the salon and get a relaxer.  The only decision I had was to go natural!!  Up until October I would do bantu knots in my hair and use flexi rods.  I got tired of doing that and one day I woke up and said "hey let me cut my relaxed hair off.  I went to this cheap salon. and asked them to cut off all my relaxed ends!  I was excited I had about 5 inches of non relaxed hair so I knew that I wouldn't be completely bald!   

I sat in the lady's chair and watched as my hair got cut off. I started to see strands of my natural hair fall onto the floor and I started to freak!  I said don't cut that hair off just the relaxed parts!  She said she was just making it even then I heard the clippers and i just blacked out!!  When I woke up and looked in the mirror I had about 1 inch of hair on my head!  I was like OMG!! what did i do!!  Everyone was giving me complements saying I had the head for short hair... whatever that means.  Eventually I got used to it  and started to like having no hair.  I could just wake up and be out the door!!

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?  If not, how were you able to move forward?

My friends were very supportive in me going natural! They really encouragedme and told me how beautiful i looked with my hair short!! When i came back home for thanksgiving break  showed my friends and family my new hair and they were shocked! The first thing my mother did was touch my hair and say oh wow its so nappy! and my brother made fun of me saying that i looked like a boy! But besides that i got great reviews from many people.. so even telling me to keep my hair short!

What is your current routine?

I try to keep my routine as simple as I can!  Key word "try".  I just really like trying new things in my hair! I'm a product junkie!  I shampoo my hair once a week with Dr. Bronner'sall in one soap.  It doesn't dry my hair out at all and I have 4b hair.  I deep condition with Yes To Carrots Mudd Masque or I might mix up my own concoction of bananas, honey, and olive oil.  I use Giovanni Direct Leave In conditioner or I'll use some Infusium 23.  Then I two strand twist my hair with raw sheabutter and seal my ends with Castor oil.. my hair love those two things.  However, I'm still experiementing with what works best.  I've never been good at caring for my hair.. so me being natural is helping me alot!

What are your hair goals?  What steps are you taking to achieve them?
 
My hair goals are pretty simple, I want to have healthy hair!!  And fill in my two small slightly bad spots in my head.. I get it from my mother.  I don't know if that hair will ever grow.  I take prenatal pills every day and only drink water.
How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?
 
MY perception of beauty has changed.  Before I felt that you could only be pretty if you had long straight hair.  Having "nappy" hair was bad and ugly.  But all those burns and strands of hair that fell out  opened my eyes and made me re-evaluate how I viewed myself!  I knew that the way my hair was wouldn't make me anymore or less prettier.  It all comes from inside!  I have noticed that I don't get as many "holla's" from dudes as I used to now that I have a Teeny Weeny Afro, but my TWA has made me more confident to go out there and approach men.
What advice would you give to a new natural?
 
My advice for any new naturals is yay!!  You did it and feel good about yourself!  You are beautiful and soon everyone will be trying to go natural.  If you ever need any encouragement go on the internet and read all these natural hair care websites!  Especially Naturally Obsessed :)  They will lift ur spirits and keep u on track and excited about all the cool stuff you can do to your hair!  Also you'll be SAVIN MADD MONEY!!  No more $50 trips to the salon every 2 weeks!!!
Thank you for sharing, you are gorgeous sis! -KKQ
 
Products Mentioned...

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images