Hair Diary: Nickeyias

6:41 PM

About me...My name is Nickey, I am 26. I work for a popular bank and also do some modeling on the side for fun. I am a carefree spirit who loves to have fun. I enjoy writing poems and music and singing. I am currently on a health kick..not a diet but a lifestyle change. I am working on becoming a better me..inside and out.

Where do you live? How is the natural hair community there?
I live in Charlotte NC. The natural hair community exist here. It is becoming more popular. I don’t get as many odd looks from black women here in Charlotte. Now they ask questions and seem intuitive about how to transition and my upkeep/daily routine.

When and why did you decide to go natural?
My last full relaxer was August of 2009 and I transitioned until September 2010, that’s when I cut off the small amount of relaxer I had left. I decided to go natural because I was ready for a change and admired women who had natural hair. I finally did the research and decided it was the best thing I could do for my hair. No more creamy crack!

Were your friends and family supportive? If not, how were you able to move forward?
In the beginning my family didn’t know what to think. I transitioned with braids and weaves which they HATED and when I wore my natural they would COMPLAIN that my hair was too thick and seemed untamed. They were used to seeing my hair relaxed and ironed. Now they admire it and support me. My mother now recommends sites and products for me to try! Some of my friends love it and some make jokes about my “nappy” hair but at the end of the day I LOVE IT!

What is your current routine?
I wash my hair once every 2 weeks and co wash every 3-4 days. I use DR Bronner Peppermint Soap when I do wash and co-wash with Trader Joes Nourish Spa Moisturizing Conditioner. I find both for a really good price at Trader Joes. I deep condition with Olive Oil, Grape seed Oil with Trader Joes Nourish Spa Moisturizing Conditioner. I use Kinky Kurly Knot Today and Carols Daughter hair milk and Proclaim Natural 7 Oil as my leave in. My hair is naturally dry so I’m always on the hunt for anything to make my hair softer and manageable without breaking the bank! During the winter months I do twist outs and braid outs, in the summer wash and go’s!

Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?
I would love to achieve hair that reaches the middle of my back, but ultimately I just want healthy hair. I plan on reaching my goal by doing protective styles and keep my hair clean and moisturized. I plan to avoid applying heat (blow dryers..hooded dyers and flat irons). I also plan on taking my supplements(Vitamin D, E, and Biotin) and continue to eat better.

Describe your fav natural hair style.
You can never go wrong with a twist out! For my twist outs I co wash my hair and divided it into 4 parts, detangle with a wide tooth comb and apply liberally, grape seed oil and olive oil. I then add a little Carols Daughter hair milk and twist hair while wet. I sleep while its drying with a silk bonnet on my head and untwist the next day. I try not to sit under a dyer the next morning..only if its super wet the next morning..which rarely happens.

Curly girls have more fun because...we have no limits!

Follow Nickey on Twitter @readbetweenthe_

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images