Hair Diary: Sese aka MileHighCitySista

9:04 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?
After a horrific incident with a relaxer, resulting in the entire back and sides of my hair breaking completely off, I decided enough was enough in December of '07.  I was tired of this love hate relationship with relaxers.  My hair would look good for two weeks, then it would fall out!!  I ran to the Internet and searched "growing afro hair" and wonderful sites and blogs from sistas with beautiful natural hair popped up.  I transitioned for a year and a half and haven't looked back since.
 
Were your family and friends supportive of your decision?  If not, how were you able to move forward?
My husband was very supportive and that was all that really mattered to me.  Overall, my brothers, sisters and family are amazed at my progress and they always tell me how beautiful my hair is!  I do get the occasional "You need to perm it" and sometimes I get odd looks, but the experience has been greatly positive.
 
What is your current hair routine?
I just came out of a set of box braid extensions, which is a protective style that I go to often.  Right now I'm rocking braidouts, twistouts, updos...Just enjoying my natural hair!!
 
How do you protect your hair in cold and warm weather?
My home state of Colorado is very dry year round so keeping my hair moisturized in response is key.  In the summer I co-wash often, in the very harsh winter I do protective styles and switch to spray moisturizers at night.
 
What are your are your hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?
The sky is the limit with me.  I just want to keep taking the best care of my hair so that it will continue to respond with growth and abundance!!
 
What is your definition of "Good Hair" ?
This is a very loaded question for me because for years people have told me that I didn't have the kind of hair that could be worn without a relaxer.  It pains me that in an age of such independence and self expression that people still subscribe to one standard of beauty.  "Good Hair" is healthy beautiful hair in all it's glory and all it's different textures!!!

For more info and pictures please visit her Fotki http://members.fotki.com/MileHighCitySista

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images