Hair Diary: Metisse

5:50 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I have been natural my entire life.  However, I did not know the right products to use on my hair or how to care for my hair properly.  I would use products that were alcohol based and that contained many other unhealthy ingredients that would dry out my hair terribly.  I also had color treated hair and would frequently get it straightened.  Which resulted in some pieces permanently losing their texture.  I often wore tightly slicked back hairstyles which caused a lot of breakage.  This past summer I decided to do my own Big Chop to get rid of all the color and heat processed parts of my hair.  I had a lot of length taken off.  I started off with APL (Armpit Length) hair and left the salon with my hair hitting my ears stretched.  It was a big change, but I knew it was the healthiest thing to do.  I wanted to grow out my hair and start with a clean slate and use healthier products.

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?  If not, how were you able to move forward?

 My family and friends were definitely supportive of my decision.  Well...my mom of course was a little hard to convince at first.  She is definitely old school and loves her some long hair.  Between my sister cutting off her of Halle Berry style and myself, she got used to it pretty quickly.  Ultimately, it is really about how you feel as an individual in your hair.

What is current hair routine?

i shampoo my hair about every 2 weeks with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat, which really makes my hair feel minty clean and fresh.  I co-wash 1-2 times a week, using Suave Coconut Naturals, leaving a little of the conditioner in my hair.  After washes, I usually do protective styles (Two Strand Twists) using Aubrey Organics B5 Design Gel.  I find myself not doing too many wash & gos, as they can be a little drying to my hair.  Also I love, love, love virgin coconut oil and use it to moisturize my ends and scalp daily.  Moisturizing is key.  I do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment once a week and a protein treatment with Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner once a month.  Protein, for me, can be a little drying if I use too much, so I try to limit my use to only once as month. 

Henna has been workings working wonders for me.  I henna once a month as well.  I am planning to trim once every 6 months or twice a year.  Lastly, I sleep in a silk scarf or bonnet every night to protect my hair.

What are your hair goals?  What steps are you taking to achieve them?

 My hair goal is to continue to maintain healthy hair.  I would grow out my hair to BSL (Bra Strap Length).  I think that moisturizing is a crucial part to maintaining length, as it prevents breakage and split ends.  I use coconut oil on my hair everyday.  I also exercise and eat a balanced diet, I believe if you are not healthy internally, your hair and skin definitely will suffer the consequences.

How do you protect your hair in cold and warm weather?

In the winter the cold air just sucks up all the moisture from your strands.  I wear a lot more protective styles to help keep the moisture in.  For the summer, I pretty much do the same thing, I protect my hair by doing protective styles as well.  Loose buns, ponytails, 2 strand twists and also covering my hair with a colorful scarf or hat to protect my hair from the sun....Gotta keep it stylish!

What is your definition of "Good Hair" ?

Good Hair to me is healthy hair.  It is hair that chooses not to be tamed or to be assimilated into the societal standard of beauty.  It is beautiful hair that defines who we are as individuals and as a people.  It is diverse, spontaneous and full of life and of zest.

Blog: kiffecoco.blogspot.com

Fotki: fotki.com/metisse86

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images