Hair Diary: Alexis J.

12:33 PM

About Me....

Hello World! My name is Alexis and I became apart of the natural hair community all the way back in April of 2006. I transitioned for about a year before doing a big chop in order to have some length (it was torture!). For me being natural has feels almost like being re-born.. its an amazing feeling. As a cancer researcher I am constantly reminded of the strength that comes from loving yourself and making choices that benefit your well-being. The natural hair movement is apart of that strength and I am dedicated to sharing it with as many as I can. So don't be bashful and feel free to follow/message me on twitter at http://twitter.com/Jonesin4Jonesy.

Where do you live? How is the natural hair community there?

I live in New York City (specifically in the Bronx) where there is a wealth of diversity. The natural hair community is huge here and it has defiantly become fashionable to be natural.

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I did my big chop in April of 2006 at the end of my sophomore year at Boston College. I decided to go natural mainly because I was tired of doing my hair (all the rollers and flat ironing and relaxing). I reached a point where I was just exhausted and curious as to what my natural texture was. As time went by I realized that being natural helped me to embrace what god gave me and celebrate my mixed ethnicity (Puerto Rican and African American).
Were your friends and family supportive of your decision? If not, how were you able to move forward?
My family and friends were all very supportive of my decision. Though at first my mother hated my short hair! Eventually she learned to love the curls.
What is your current hair routine?
I keep a very tight regimen as it has helped me to achieve length. I pretty much rock the curly fro everyday. I shampoo my hair twice a month with Deva Care no poo and I use Deva's One Condition as my everyday conditioner/rinse. Then I apply Kinky Curly knot today and curling custard to style my hair. With the KCCC I can wear my hair out for about 3 to 4 days before re-wetting. I keep my curls fresh by wearing a silk scarf at night (I have a pic of it!) As a daily moisturizer I use Carol's Daughter Lisa's hair elixir.
What are some of your favorite hair products?
Absolutely can't live without Kinky Curly Curling Custard and knot today, Deva Care One Condition, and to deep condition, Deva Care heaven in hair and Carol's Daughter Lisa's hair elixir.
Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?
My goal is to have waist length hair. The biggest step I am taking to achieve that is leaving my hair alone! I leave it out everyday and try not to tie it up or play around with lots of styles (I avoid straightening with heat). When I do style, they are simple ones with headbands or clips (like the picture with my pink band). Yes it does get boring at times but has really minimized the amount of knots and split ends I get. Then the second most important step is condition, condition, condition.
Describe your favorite hair style.
When I do decided to be daring and style my hair, my favorite is the fro-hawk. I pull half of my hair into a high pony tail and then I slick the sides down with bobby pins to achieve a Mohawk look.
Curly girls have more fun because....whether its rain, humidity, or shine we don't have to worry about our hair! I don't miss the OMG my straight hair is going to frizz days :)

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images