TWA Hair Diary: Karla aka KayLaLa!!

1:42 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

This is actually my second time going natural.  First time I did it back in 2001 for convenience.  I was on a weight loss mission and was tired of having to worry about my hair so I cut it myself.  I would stay a TWA if it wasn't for my own curiosity.  Knowing that my hair grew pretty long permed I figure it should grown even longer and stronger naturally.  I decided to go back to perms after I had my twins because I didn't have a clue how to care for my hair in the in between TWA and "Stylable" stage.  I gave up. (Man!!!  Why didn't I back away from that perm, I can only imagine how my hair would look now!!!) My last BC was 11 12 09.  This time I was truly tired of the perming routine, the breakage.  I live in a small town and would literally have to drive an hour and a half to a beautician.  This was just not Furlough Friendly (I'm a California State employee).  I also remember how I felt many times running my fingers through my roots and wondering what my hair was really like.  I don't regret making the decision.  This time I found a whole on-line community to answer just about every question I had!

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision? If not, how were you able to move forward?

As far as reactions, many were shocked that I did it because there was very little discussion prior.  I have to admit that hearing people tell me, "You have a good face for short hair", or "You look good in short hair", did a lot to ease me into my new lifestyle.  Cause it is a new life.  One of freedom!!  Now one of my twins (7 years old), took one look at me when I stepped out of the bathroom and said, "I'm gonna cry, you look like a boy".  After thinking of how I spent many years putting others feelings and needs ahead of my own, I looked at him, smiled and said, "You'll get over it!", went back in the bathroom, closed the door and smiled at my beautiful self in the mirror.  I was more than ready!!!!  I think it's a great way for them to be more comfortable with kinky/curly hairstyles. 

What is current hair routine?

Currently my hair routine consists of moisture, moisture, moisture.  I have actually cut my hair twice since the initial BC in 11/09.  The reason being I was so anxious to "Divafy" my hair I put a color in it the same day I BC'd.  Didn't take me long to realize I practically sealed my freshly cut hair with more chemicals.  It started to feel dry within days.  Not that there's anything wrong with color but I felt I didn't even give myself time to know who I really was naked.  I cut it with a pair of clippers using the 3/8" safety.  I love the way my freshly buzzed head feels.  But now I'm in it for the long haul.  My hair loves fresh aloe juice/gel.  It sucks it right up.  I'll do that in the evenings when I feel the winter air has been hard on it.  I love my olive oil.  I'm still trying to find my way.  My main issue is moisture since my hair tends to suck up moisture quickly that's why I've named my mane SAHARA!!  LOL  She has a mind of her own ♥

What are your hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?

My goals are long, strong, healthy hair.  I want my crown to look as beautiful as yours KKQ!  The steps I take to achieve these are to constantly pay attention to what my hair is telling me.  Before I just kind of expected it to take care of itself I didn't really do any extras.  These days I'm always looking for a reason to give my hair some kind of pampering.  One of my favorite things to do is, when I'm on the computer or doing house chores, just take my water spritz bottle and totally drench my hair with water and let it air dry.  It loves it.  I always have some type of leave in conditioner/moisturizer.  I love African Royale braid spray (has loads of herbs in it, smells sweet and keeps hair soft, moisturizes without greasy feeling), Aveeno and Infusium 23 leave in conditioners are my current staples.  These are subject to change as I try to adopt a more chemical free regimen.  I'm anxious to get some fresh avocado in my hair and see what those oils do to it!!

How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?

My perception of beauty hasn't really changed since going natural because I've always admired women who were real, and were comfortable with their unaltered selves.  That in itself is a beautiful thing.  Before a natural woman opens her mouth, her style speaks volumes.  What's changing is my reception of others perception.  I'm no longer allowing myself to be angered by the labels such as good hair or bad hair.  When a person reduces others to labels and stereotypes, they are actually telling you, that they themselves have fears of how others perceive them.  Unfortunately this was probably behavior learned growning up.  I've always told my 3 boys, 1 16-year-old, I don't care who you bring home to meet me, just make sure you're with them for the right reasons.  'Right' meaning, you like her person, what she stands for as a whole.  Not the arm candy element.  That should just be icing on the cake!

What advice would you give to a new natural?

The advice that I would give to a new natural is know EXACTLY why you're going natural and make sure you have that confirmation inside you that says I'm in this for the long haul NO MATTER WHAT!!!    Karla♥

To learn more about Karla's journey please click the links below!!

members.fotki.com/KayLaLaGODsDiVa

www.KatwalKatharsis.blogspot.com

**Simply Gorgeous**

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images