Hair Diary: LaToya J

5:09 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I decided to go natural in October of 2008.  The decision happened at the same time that I was applying my last relaxer ( it was to late to turn back at this point, the relaxer was already on my hair and I wasn't ready to shave ALL my hair off at that time).  There are many reasons why iI chose to go natural.  I went natural because I was insecure about my thin, never really growing relaxed hair.  While relaxed my hair had never grew past the hunch in my back, so I realized that the relaxer was doing no good to my hair.  I already knew how to style natural hair so that wasn't an issue.  The reason that really topped off why I I made the decision to stop relaxing my hair is a statement from a man that I worked with.  He said "I don't understand why women relax their hair and then put a weave on top of it".  That statement completely opened my eyes ♥

Were your family and friends supportive of your decision?  If not, how were you able to move forward?

My friends were not supportive, especially my boyfriend since he was used to dating women of other ethnicity's.  I was able to move forward because I had faith that my hair would be healthier and fierce.  Plus it was growing like grass..lol!  My family loved the idea of me having natural hair, they even loved how it looked on me.  Once my hair started to grow and the health and shine of my hair started to show my friends began flirting around the decision to go natural themselves.  I am proud to say that one of my friends has gone natural and another is contemplating it...Yay!!

What is your current hair routine?

I co-wash every other day or if I worked out hard that day I will co-wash that day.  I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration mixed with olive oil, unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, and castor oil for a deep treatment.  I leave this mixture in for an hour and then rinse, my hair loves this!!  My style for now, since my hair is only 4-5 inches long, is a puff slicked back with Clear Eco-Styler gel.

What are your hair goals and what steps are you taking to achieve them?

By April of 2011, I want my hair to be at APL (armpit length)and I want to inspire other women to go natural.  The steps I'm taking are as follows...

I will be using olive oil and coconut oil as a leave in.
I will wear kinky twist most of this year (at least 6 months out of this year) as a protective style.

I will pray.
I will massage my scalp 2x a week which stimulates the hair root and promotes growth.

I will take a Biotin supplement of 3000mcg once a day.
I will use a growth oil (such as 
BlackOnyx77's growth oil).
I will workout 5 days a week.
I will drink a gallon of water 7 days a week.
I will embrace and be proud of my natural hair no matter what others think.
I will take the time to style my hair and show others that natural hair is versatile
 and beautiful!

What is your definition of "Good Hair"?

Good hair is hair that is healthy whether relaxed or natural.  Good hair is also hair that captures and maintains moisture, hair that is not breaking at the slightest comb through or pull.  Lastly, good hair is good habits put forth toward the maintenance and styling of hair, which prevents bad hair.

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images