TWA Hair Diary: Kanisha P.

5:53 PM

About Me....My name is Kanisha! I'm a writer & college student: an English major. I aspire to be a successful author and entrepreneur!

When and why did you decide to natural? Who or what inspired you?

I decided to go natural in the winter of 2009 because I had started discussing natral hair with my cousin, who has been natural for a year. I have always loved natural hair but for some reason, I did not believe natural hair was attainable for me. I thought everyone got relaxers! When my eyes were opened up to this whole new natural world that I'd never encountered before, I decided to start transitioning! My last relaxer was December 2, 2009, and I did the big chop on June 5, 2010. I felt comfortable and proud of the girl who I saw staring back at me in the mirror.

Were your friends and family supportive? If not, how were you able to move forward?

My family was supportive; my mom & sisters kept telling me how much they loved my hair. Some of my friends and people at church were NOT, however. I got some pretty mean comments thrown my way, and it made me second guess myself. I said to myself, "Maybe I shouldn't have gone natural. Or maybe I should've waited sooner to do the big chop..." I allowed what people said cause me to forget how in love I was with my hair! I had to mentally slap myself and say get it together Kanisha! You did this for you!

Describe your current routine.

I wash my hair on Saturdays with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo. Then I also condition with Giovanni. I then deep condition with either Hollywood Beauty Cholesterol or some concoction I've created, usually with mayonnaise, oil, and Organix Conditioner. Then I style my hair in a twistout using Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner and Pure Shea Butter. I preserve the style by retwisting at night with the Cantu Leave in. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I cowash, and go back to my precious twistout! It's my go to style right now.

Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?

I want to continue to grow my hair, as long as it wants to get. I'm trying not to make a big deal about length right now but remembering to love my hair at every length it gets to. I'm more comfortable & in love with my TWA right now than I've EVER been! It's great! Also, I want to keep away from the heat and drink lots of water!

How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?

I feel much more open to so many different looks and ideas now. I always say you shouldn't reject something just because you don't agree with it. Many people immediately cast natural hair down as "ugly" just because they would never go natural and I don't think that's right. I've learned to embrace myself and others for who they are, because it's not all about hair. There's more to you than what grows out of your head. And it sucks that some people will never know the real me because they can't get past the fro they see on the OUTSIDE. I have so much more to offer the world than my hair. Your hair isn't WHO you are- it's just one part of you!

What advice would you give to a new natural struggling with her new look?

Don't be afraid to try something new! I didn't know what to do with my hair the first week, so I just rocked wash n gos and they didn't turn out too nice! Then I started experimenting and I've perfected my twistout now. You have to spend time with your hair, get to know it better like a new friend lol :) Get on YouTube and look at as many videos as you need to! There are lots of ladies out there who are willing to help.

Great diary sis, thanks for sharing. Lots of good advice for the newbies and vets :-)

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images