Hair Diary: Tameka V.

3:07 PM

When and why did you decide to natural?
I decided during my sophomore year of college, but I did nothing about it until the end of my sophomore year, last summer. My last perm was August 8th, 2009.
Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?
I mentioned nothing about the sudden need to have my natural texture. I didn't do the big chop, I transitioned, so in no time the realization by friends was either that I was too broke/lazy to get my touch up or I was up to something. The most supportive people were/are the ones who were either fully natural or going through the process as well. Either way my mind was made up.
What is your current hair routine?
I wash it with conditioner every four days or so and I shampoo and condition every two weeks. I let it air dry, apply my "hair butter", a concoction my friend makes out of olive oil, cocoa butter, lavender, etc. and twist into medium-sized sections. I try to do this every night and tie it down to avoid breakage. In the morning I take my afro pic, comb it out and go.
What are your hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?
I want to achieve maximum growth. It's funny because I tried all sorts of cuts when I had permed hair. I thought short hair suited my persona best. Now that I'm natural I feel that a FULL fro would suit my character best. I'm still learning haircare everyday by browsing blogs like Naturally Obsessed. I'm going to start a regular deep-conditioning routine as soon as I find the optimum product for my hair. Also, maintaining hydration and a balance of vitamin intake.

What new styles or techniques have you learned this year?
Before discovering the twist out I literally gelled my hair back everyday, because I was battling the two different textures during my transition and didn't know any better. But as mentioned before I have a long way to go and a lot of ideas to test out thanks to blogs like this.
What is your definition of "good" hair?
Good hair is healthy hair, case closed. It highlights your face, brightens your personality and makes a statement that you are proud of your heritage and ancestral beauty. Good hair is YOUR hair. If we were meant to have pin straight hair, it would've sprouted from our scalps as such.

Curly girls have more fun because...
...they can just wash and hit the party and don't have to be afraid of breaking a sweat ;-)

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images