TWA Hair Diary: Juanita B.

5:33 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I struggled with my hair since I was a little girl. My perception of beauty were the images in magazines and actresses on tv with long flowing hair. Nappy was a no-no to me. One day I guess I had an epiphany plus a head full of damaged hair, and I came across this page…Yup it’s me Juanita…told you I would be back! Anyway I was tired of the conformity and wanted to know what it would be like to be au natural! SO... my next step was to just do it (like NIKE)! My last perm was in January, and between January and July I wasn’t sure what to do with my hair because I had the new growth and then I had the permed hair…I was at a lost. I grabbed the clippers and snip snipped away! Greatest decision ever!

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision? If not, how were you able to move forward?

I actually burst into tears because I had no support from my family…their solution was to just treat the damaged hair. Nappy is still a no go for my family, but eventually they came around, my fiancé was actually my barber. My friends were in limbo on the whole situation until they saw the new me, now one of my friends want to put me in a photo shoot.

What is your current hair routine?

As of now I am experimenting, no real routine. I guess I have a semi-routine. I co-wash once a week. MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE everyday and everynight, because my hair is a sponge it sucks up all the water but it don’t hold it well. I use leave in conditioners (Profectiv) and the famous “shealoe”. In the evening I spritz and conceal then wrap my hair in a silk scarf. I spritz throughout the day with a combination of water and moisturizers. I Stay away from heat haven’t blow dried my hair in FOREVER…tempted to see the length but I’m fighting temptation. I learned how to care for my hair with help from this site and multiple sites in addition to my baby girl managing her hair taught me how to manage natural hair like ours.

Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?

My major hair goal is to have strong healthy hair…the health of hair is very visible and so is damage. In order to accomplish this I make sure I care for my hair and I feed my body in a way that my hair benefits as well. Once upon a time I was a tomboy and hair meant time..and time was something I just didn’t have. Now I make time for my hair. Oh…I would love to have long flowing hair as well but that will come with time…no rush enjoying this journey!

How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?

Originally I thought natural meant being too lazy to take care of your hair…but now natural is an inspiration to me. I walk down the block and when I see a fellow au naturella (LOL) we smile at each other with a since of pride. Beauty mean so much more…it means taking care of yourself and being yourself…and ultimately being comfortable with who you truly were meant to be!

What advice can you share to help another new natural?

It’s a scary journey but it is also a time for exploration and discovery, a time to define who you are. I would call it a re-birth. Cry, Laugh, get over it and be Proud of what you see when you look in that mirror!

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images