Hair Diary: Robbin M.

6:03 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I've always been a quasi-natural by way of the almighty hot comb, but this summer's extreme humidity in Michigan of all places forced me to permanently retire my hot comb and embrace my unruly, unpredictable napfrocurlz!

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?

My friends and boyfriend love my hair, but my parents are VERY conservative. They haven't seen my head yet, nor do I intend for them to see it until I'm confident with styling. I can take their criticism because they know I'm going to do what I want to do anyway.

What is your current hair routine?

I wash my hair with cream shampoos...for quick washes I uses Pantene's Relaxed and Natural but switch to Mixed Chicks, Carol's Daughter and other luxurious shampoos when I want to pamper my hair. I condition (and I have since I was a wee little girl) with LeKair's Cholesterol with Aloe. I love this stuff and so does my hair. And, its neon green color and gloppy texture make detangling fun in the shower. I follow up with my own leave-in conditioner concoction consisting of various oils, a little leave-in conditioner and water. I let my hair air dry after applying little dabs each of Cantu Shea Butter Strengthening Cream and Eco Styler gel. At night, I wear a satin scarf, but am looking to get my hands on a Sue Maesta hooded headband.

Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achive them?

I want to achieve a tall afro that can stand on its own and to grow out my hair another six inches. I've retired all heat-producing appliances and am learning to read the labels on products I'm interested in. No mineral oils, petrolatums or alcohol for me!

What new styles or techniques have you learned this year?

Funny you should ask because I just did my first bantu knot-out yesterday! Every week, I want to try something new after wash day.

My definition of "good" hair is....Good hair is strong, thick, healthy hair. 

Curly girls have more fun because....we are as resilient as our curls!

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images