Hair Diary: Brandi P

1:55 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I decided to go natural in May 2006. I permed my hair one last time before putting in a weave for graduation. It wasn't really a conscious decision, I just did it. Soon then after I chopped off all of my permed hair and continued wearing weaves for the next 3 years. In January 2009 I was laid off from my job and had to move back home to Baltimore with my family. I decided to shed myself of everything that reminded me of what I no longer wanted to be, and that was,a fake hair wearing, Corporate America working, money driven, highly irritable and emotional young woman. The first step would be to take out the weave!

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?

Most of my friends were in support of my decision, mostly because they were tired of seeing me sport the 16" 1B Yaki lol! Majority of people were accepting and quite supportive of the idea of me finally feeling comfortable enough with myself to wear what God has given me naturally. Although till this day I'm certain I've been turned down for at least 2 jobs because of my curly mop top and I have grown accustomed to the glares from my less cultured friends! :-)

Where do you live? How is the natural hair community there?

 I live in Baltimore, Maryland. The natural hair community seems to be growing at a exponential rate. In the last year and a half since I've been back I've seen a drastic change in the number of women wearing their natural hair. Just recently I attended a natural hair festival so apparently the community is large enough to host this type of event.

What is your current hair routine?

I co-wash and deep condition my hair every week and wash my hair once a month. When I do shampoo I use any brand of Coconut Milk as a pre-poo (Pre Shampoo). I usually put a shower cap on and let the coconut milk sit in my hair. Then I wash it out using any brand of apple cider vinegar(ACV).  I cowash using Organix Coconut Milk and deep condition using my own recipe of avocado, olive oil, and honey. I usually twist my hair every night then unravel in the morning. I prefer to keep it VERY simple, because hey who has time to fool around with hair all day long!

What are some of your favorite hair products?

My fave 5 (I can't live without) World of Curls/Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream and Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee/ Carol's Daughter Tui Deep Conditioner and  Mimosa Hair Honey.   

Do you have any hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?

My goal (don't laugh at me) is to grow my hair to my waist by the time I turn 30. Its important for me to prove to myself that I can grow long healthy hair if I take care of it. I co-wash and deep condition my hair every week, trim regularly and seldomly straighten. 

What is your favorite natural hairstyle?

I like to rock the side mohawk.  I double strand twist my hair at night, take the twists down in the morning and pin to one side.  My style inspiration for the side pony/mohawk is model Grace Mahary from the Trey Songz video.

Curly girls have more fun because.... "We can dance in the rain!"

Thanks for sharing your story Brandi!! If you have a Twitter account you can follow Brandi @FollowMe_LoveMe

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images