TWA Hair Diary: Jennifer W.

11:45 AM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I decided to go natural rightbefore I left for college on August 11th. I remember so well because I did tons of research that day.  I was watching The Tyra Show on "good hair" and I was inspired. I don't know what made me decide to look into it but I did and I became hooked!  I knew absolutely nothing about natural hair.  I did not even know natural hair was natural, I thought it was just nappy hair that needed a perm. I knew nothing else.  When I began my research and started looking at other naturals and reading stories, I felt that my hair needs to be natural because that's how it's suppose to be.  Why am I altering it??  I wasn't ashamed  of it, I just didn't know.  So, from that day on I decided I'm going to be relaxer free.
 
Were your friends and family supportive of your decision? If not, how were you able to move forward? 
My family was supportive, except my brother.  He means no harm though.  He simply likes long flowing weave.  Everyone else was cool with it.  I actually had my sister sit with me while I did some of my research and she was very interested.  She said she's probably going to want to go natural after she sees my hair grow out.  She seriously needs to, her hair has been destroyed by perms :-(
 
What is your current hair routine?
 
Well, right now I'm wearing yarn twist as a protective style.  When I'm not wearing that I co-wash everyday with Sauve Naturals, V05, or Herbal Essences.  If I'm wearing a certain style then I won't co-wash until my style is threw.  I moisture and seal with Olive Oil and Shea Butter everday and I deep condition my hair every Sunday.  That's pretty much it....very simple
 
What are your hair goals?  What steps are you taking to achieve them?
I just want to see how long my hair can grow.  I don't have a desired length.  I do want my hair to get long enough to try all those awesome hairstyles though.  I just try to retain my length so it can grow by taking care of my ends.
 
How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?
 
It really made be appreciate black features more.  I'm definitely more proud of our features now and I embrace that.  For instance, I use to wear colored contacts, but now I embrace my dark eye color. I think dark eyes are beautiful.  I also appreciate natural beauty much more now.
 
What advice would you give to a new natural?
Have fun with your hair!  Don't stress over trying to have your hair look a certain way or get a certain length.  Just embrace what you have and enjoy it while you have it.  Always be confident because that is very important when it comes to having a TWA.  So have fun and look fab!!

Thanks for sharing your story sis!! Loving that black & white hair bow :-)

If you would like to share your story please click the link! http://naturallyobsessed.onsugar.com/Hair-Diary-How-Can-I-Featured-8336639

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images