TWA Hair Diary: Althea T.

8:22 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I went natural my senior year in high school. I had an up and down relationship with my relaxed hair. When I was 13 all of my hair broke off from a relaxer and my mom had to cut it all off. I got box braids for about 2 years and my hair grew out really long. Then I got it relaxed again and it was still growing and healthy. On a whim I got that Rihanna hair cut and my family thought I was crazy for cutting off all that long hair LOL!! But one day I started researching growing in edges. My edges have always been bald. I developed traction alopecia at around 7 years old, which was also the age of my first relaxer...rolls eyes lol! That's when I learned about going natural and i asked myself why I never considered natural hair as a viable hair option.

I started transitioning around January and cut it all of in April. I guess that means that I've been natural for a year, but I don't really count it because I didn't know what the heck I was doing in the beginning and my hair didn't grow that much. Plus I kept trimming for no reason..smh!!

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision? If not, how were you able to move forward?

My mother was very supportive. She has crazy hair whims. Long permed hair one year, a short cut, a fade the next and now she's bald!! I think she wants dreads next :-) SHe supported me, but my family was a little hesitant mainly because they saw how long and healthy my permed hair had become. Now they are fine with it.

What is your current hair routine?

I DC weekly with various conditioners , sometimes witth coconut milk and honey, I haven't found a staple yet. I always mix my conditioners with olive oil, coconut oil or honey. I then do a twist out with a leave in like Suave Tropical Coconut or Oyin Handmade Conditioner. And I seal with Fleurzty's Curls Nurture Cream. I do wash and go's every now and then with Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Knot Today.

I usually wash at the end of the week or I'll do a baking soda treatment or Bentonite Clay treatment. I wash with diluted castile soap or diluted Kinky Kurly Come Clean.

SideNote: Am I the only one who doesn't seem to to like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Yes To Carrots or Giovanni ?!?

What are your hair goals? What steps are you taking to achieve them?

I want big VOLUMINOUS natural hair!! I want to be very versatile with my hair. Doing twist outs, wash and go's, roller sets and curl formers...the options are endless. I don't really have a length goal in mind, but stretched MBL or so would be fine.

Now I'm taking great care of my hair with DC's and such. I now know that my ends have to be stretched and moisturized at all times to get maximum growth. I plan on getting yarn braids in a week or so to proect my hair from my hand- in-hair disease...lol!!

How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?

Honestly, I've always thought natural hair was pretty, I just never thought that it was "right" for me. I then realized something that my friend told me, natural hair is right for everyone and it looks good on everyone. God made us this way and he knows what he's doing, he makes no mistakes!!

But I used to be someone who would say stuff like "Asians have the best hair" or " Latinas have the best hair". Now I realize that Black hair is amazing! Our hair is diverse, unique and versatile. I love our hair!

Gorgeous girl Althea and I love your attitude, thank you for sharing.....Oh and mama is fierce with her cut :-) - KKQ

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images