Hair Diary: Shayla D.

2:18 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I went natural for the second time in May of 2009.  There wasn't any real reasoning behind the decision, I just couldn't keep any hairstyle for longer than a month and I wanted to try it again.  The first time was back in 2004 and I really didn't know how to take care of my hair then so I gave up.

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?  If not, how were you able to move forward?

I had only told a few people that I was going natural and they really didn't say anything.  I was already known for switching my hair up so much, I'm sure they just didn't give it any thought.  They were already used to me doing something different on a regular.  However, my supervisor at the time thought I was nuts, she was all about having long luxurious weave!!  She laughed at me when I came into work after my big chop and I had a fade.  It wasn't that deep for me.  My motto courtesy of my Grandmother is "I ain't trying to impress nobody".  I rocked my TWA until it grew to that stage where I had no clue what to do with it so I got Micros until it grew out a few inches longer.

What is your current hair routine? 

I wash my hair at least once every 1-2 weeks and co-wash at least once a week unless I'm doing a protective style.  I try to deep condition at least once a week as well.  I've got dry hair and it needs all of the moisture it can get.  I usually keep it twisted for a few days and then do a twists-out.  This time around I tried my first bantu twists out and I LOVE IT!!!!!  Will be doing those more often ;)

What are your hair goals?  What steps are you taking to achieve them?

I don't really have any hair length goals.  As long as it's healthy I'm good.  I'm liable to decide tomorrow that I want a fade again and get it all cut off.  I just maintain my routine and it stays nice and healthy.  I get a little lazy at times, but since this is the only time in my life that I've actually enjoyed doing my hair, I have no other choice but to keep it healthy and strong.

What are your favorite hair products?

I'm a self proclaimed product junkie!!!  I have so much stuff.  But I honestly only use Suave conditioner for my co-washes, I deep condition with Roots of Nature's Shea Butter Green Tea Deep Treatment and shampoo with my own Castile soap mixed with olive oil and essential oils mix.  For my twists I use another of my own mix Cocoa cream which is just cocoa butter, mango butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil.  I also like Oyin Handmade products.  Frank Juice all day!!!

What is your definition of "Good Hair"?

Good hair is happy hair.  And hair is happy when it's healthy. 

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images