TWA Hair Diary: Natalie

2:45 PM

When and why did you decide to go natural?

I went natural on November 7, 2009.  Going natural was always something that I wanted to do, but I didn't understand what it took to maintain and keep up with natural hair.  I had a lot of inspiration from my two younger sisters who actually went natural two years prior to my BIG Chop.  Conversations with my about their hair gave me a lot of encouragement along with watching YouTube and hair care forums.

Were your friends and family supoportive of your decision?  If not, how were you able to move forward?

My friends were very supportive of my decision to go natural.  On a few occasions they would send me links of certain websites and books I could read.  The one person that I did get negative feedback from was my boyfriend.  I remember I tried going natural once before and he was right there with me.  I took my extensions out after a year and said "I'm going natural".  At that time I didn't know there were sources available that I could turn to for help with my decision.  So a week later i ran to my hair dresser and told her to perm e pronto, and he (the stylist ) gave me a look of I told so.  When I said I was going natural for the second time I knew he would have something to say.  I finally Bc'ed and he told me, which I thought was funny, "You know I never really liked girls with weaves and perms anyway!"

What is your current hair routine?

My routine is perfect for me; I spritz my hair every morning and every night with a mixture that consists of Giovanni leave in, water, jojoba oil, and a splash of glycerin.  I co-wash and deep condition my hair once a week and even though its winter I do wash & go's on my TWA.  Don't be alarmed it usually dries before I get outside.  That's it for now because my hair is still too short for braid and/or twist outs. 

What are your hair goals?

I just want healthy hair!!

How has your perception of beauty changed since going natural?

It hasn't changed much.  I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What advice would you give to a new natural?

It's not as hard as you think it is.  Please don't be discouraged because you don't have a looser texture, love your coils and kinks.  Take your time with your hair and when you give it your hair will return the favor ten times over!!! 

 

For more info about this beauty be sure to follow her on Twitter

You Might Also Like

1 People Obsessing!

  1. Wow. she is gorgeous! I wonder how she's doing with her natural journey now...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images