Obsessed Mail: Distressed Hair!!

12:13 PM

Loeski writes...
Hi Shana! Let me start by giving you props for having such a successful blog and YouTube channel! Your natural journey has helped me out a lot, but I'm sure you can tell by the subject line that I'm having some hair issues. Around April this year, I began to notice my hair getting more frizzy and a lot drier. I was doing deep conditions every 3 weeks due to protective styling (mini twists and such) after washes, but nothing seemed to help. I trim my ends once a month, because I have loads of damage and split ends (too much heat on my hair) and I think I may have heat damage as well. I try to talk to people about my hair and no one seems to recognize the big deal because my twist outs and styles "look good" but the frizz and lack of curl pattern are really beginning to worry me. My hair only curls when wet (which didn't used to be the case) and even if I allow my hair to air dry and apply moisturizer it is still dry!!! I  am debating cutting off my shoulder length 4a hair and starting over *insert sad face here*. I don't know what to do! I feel like I have tried everything but to no avail. If you can be of assistance, I would really appreciate it! You are one of my hair idols so whatever you have to say will be taken into consideration with the utmost respect. 
Hopefully, Loeski 
Hi Loeski! I think you've already diagnosed the problem correctly all by yourself lol! From what you've written, it seems your issue is heat damage. You have all the classic symptoms; frizz, lack of curl pattern and hair that is just not behaving as it normally does. Your efforts to treat the issue are commendable, but unfortunately if it's heat damage there isn't much you can do to fix it. The only options you really have is to either grow it out or cut it off. Also the dryness could be a result of the products you're using. Make sure that if it claims to moisturizing, that it is water based (meaning water should 1st on the ingredients list). Try to avoid sulfate shampoos and check to see if your products contain proteins or not. Your hair maybe sensitive to protein which could also be the cause of your dryness. I hope this helps you Loeski and thank you for supporting my blog and YouTube channel. The love is truly appreciated :)
-Shana

You Might Also Like

2 People Obsessing!

  1. To me, it sounds like she is lacking protein (high porosity hair). Applying heat to our hair strips it of its protein, which also leads to dryness. Here's a link: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bit of heat damage when I went to the salon in the Spring to get my hair straightened but I did deep conditions every week as usual following and my hair went back to its curl I think it is just a matter of patience (depending on how severe the damage is)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images