Hair Diary: Kayla W.

2:09 PM

About me....Hiya! My name is Kayla and I have been natural since August 2010. I transitioned for about 8 months using individual braids. I'm starting college next year and I thought that it would be the perfect time for me to go natural. I love being different I kinda always have been and my hair matches my personality now.

Where do you live? How is the natural hair community there?
I live in Jersey City, New Jersey and we are a go through kinda town ( a town where people travel through to get somewhere else) and I see a couple naturals from time to time. Its hard to determine if they are really from Jersey or traveling through. Weaves and perms are way more popular than natural hair for the most part though.

When and why did you decide to go natural?
I made the decision to go natural for many reasons, but one major one is that as stated before I'm starting college next year and I feel that natural would be a lot easier to maintain in college. Natural hair is more versatile and I felt like there are so many restrictions with permed hair. Another reason is that I have always wanted an afro and now I can have one.

Were your friends and family supportive of your decision?
My mom, dad, older brother, and my friends were very supportive with my hair. My grandma and some of my aunts and uncles not so much. They would make jokes and comments and at first it really hurt me. But I realized that I made this decision for me not for them and I love it. At the end of the day my opinion is all that matters.

Describe your current routine.
I deep condition every week with Organic Root Salon's Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner. I use hot oil treatments every other week using either jojoba oil. I only use shampoo every 2 weeks with Curls Organic Clarifying Shampoo.

Do you have any hair goals?
My only goal right now for my hair is to keep it healthy. Length and other goals will come if I keep it healthy. I wear a satin bonnet every night and I make sure to properly hydrate my hair. I NEVER comb or brush my hair when it is dry and I only use and wide tooth shower comb and denman bush.

What is your favorite natural hair style?
My favorite go to style would have to be a twist-out. I have just mastered how to accomplish one and I love it. I take damp hair and detangle it piece by piece and apply Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

Curly girls have more fun because....we are unique, beautiful, and we shine better than all the rest!!

Feel free to follow Kayla's blog www.PurpleKittten27.blogspot.com.

You Might Also Like

0 People Obsessing!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images